Please be advised that all material on this blog is protected under copyright laws



May 1, 2015

As One, Let Us Cry Against this Violence "May Day!"

" Any woman, walking alone, is inviting being attacked..."

May 1st.
May Day.
An anniversary for me whereby only few years ago I, myself, cried "May Day" in a last, desperate, death-is-imminent call for help.

Yesterday, here in Australia a seventeen year old girl was raped at knifepoint in broad daylight. While many other crimes and tragedies no doubt occurred yesterday it is this assault that the media has latched on to. And the quote I opened this piece with is the "authorities'" response to what women should accept from this assault.

" Any woman, walking alone, is inviting being attacked..."

On this day a few years ago I was six months pregnant with identical twin girls to a man that claimed he loved me. Pregnant with the babies he had begged me to have.
On this day I called the police after he had physically beaten me, pinning me to the wall by the neck screaming in my ear that he was god and I should "submit to him or die". Thirty kilograms lighter than him and heavily pregnant it took all of my skill to get him off me and croak
"This time I'm calling the police..."
His response? He left the sole print of his size thirteen shoe bruised across my pregnant belly.
He was arrested and removed from our home and lives permanently.
I went to hospital fighting for my own life and the lives of my unborn girls.
The bruise from his final blow across my pregnant belly.
Image taken in evidence by Victoria Police.

My abdomen drawn tight with two babies growing within, that bruise shrouded my baby girls right up until the very day they defied him and were born healthy, strong and exquisitely beautiful.

Note that I said, "This time I'm calling the police."
This wasn't the first physical beating I received from him. No.

I never imagined that I would know empathy of domestic violence. Yet here I am.

According to VicHealth; "Violence against women is the leading contributor to death, disability and illness of women aged 15 to 44 years". 
For men in the same age bracket it is heart disease. 

It is time for all of us to cry "May Day!" against violence toward women. 

I am a sole parent to five children, four of whom are my daughters. While I raise my girls to be capable, I will not raise them to fear men. I will not have them believe what the so-called "authorities" that are employed to care and protect them are claiming; 

 "Any woman, walking alone, is inviting being attacked..."

This day is a celebratory anniversary of our survival and freedom for my children and I. We overcame foul abuse and violence in our own home. We've long since restored it's sanctuary.

Yet this day, with the news of the protective parties wiping their hands of their duty of care and demanding women walk in submission and fear... 
It is clear.
Never more than now do we need to stand as one and cry 
"May Day!" against violence toward women. 

No comments: