Please be advised that all material on this blog is protected under copyright laws



March 17, 2011

The Wedding Approaches: Instalment One

Its so easy to forget what you're doing! There is such anticipation, such expectation upon a wedding I can now understand how easily one can forget they are actually getting married.
A month out from our own wedding and as expected all that is planned, ordered, organised and hoped for starts to intensify. And fall apart. And change. And unravel. And develop. And so much more. I should probably be devastated, a little traumatised, tantrum enhanced perhaps but the humour in this is just too rich... I have to share this journey.
And so you're welcome to join me over the next month.
I'll be doing it in instalments. Notifying through facebook, twitter and for those following on here. Hope you enjoy.
Instalment One:
The invitations that were meant to go out over three weeks ago have still not gone out. I find this out four weeks before the wedding through friends sending me casually worded text messages pointedly but not absolutely saying, "Just making sure you have our postal address. Here it is again..."
No invites. This is despite the "rush order" recommended (for a convenient extra $150, of course). On the website it states that the invitations will be delivered 5 working days after the approved print mock-up. This is reiterated to me upon a phone call to the company, fitted in between web design meetings, patient appointments, frantic meetings with financial team, school pick up...
"That mock up that was approved 4 weeks ago? Is that the mock up you're referring to?" I ask her. I'm driving the mobile office, hollering at the touch screen even though the microphone is up behind the rear view mirror because a visual helps you to be heard on a blue tooth apparently.
"Oh well, " I can hear her smiling,"we've had a long weekend in Victoria and that would have delayed the process."
"For three weeks?"
"Yes." She happily chirps.
"Uh, no. I'm afraid no." Couldn't help laughing, "Those invitations need to be out. Today."
"We can have them express post to you tomorrow."
"How about you express post them to the people invited? The addresses are on the envelopes."
"We don't provide that service, I'm afraid."
"Well...lucky you provide refunds and discounts, isn't it?" I'm smiling. She's appropriately wary now...the saga unfolds.
So text I resort to. I'm sending out text massages to all that I do have the numbers of (many relatives, friends, colleagues, etc, I do not ) just giving them the heads up of date and time. Feel free to text me if you feel I've lost your postal address too :)
Now there is a dignified wedding invite :) Text.
If the guests are lucky they may receive an invite in the mail while we're on our honeymoon, so they can revel in the joy of us married already.
In the meantime I think the wedding party are still coming. So at least there will be two of us.
MH

No comments: